Yahoo! Mail Problem

by Krishna on June 6, 2007

The reason for posting this blog is that there was nothing on Google Search or Blogsearch for a particular painful and frustrating problem. So if someone is facing this same issue, I hope this can help them.

The last couple of days, I have been having problems accessing my Yahoo! email. The symptoms were as follows:

1. When I type http://mail.yahoo.com/, I get the login page as usual.
  2. I type in my user name and password, but the browser stays without showing a page for a long time, probably like 5–10 minutes.
  3. Finally, it comes back with an “internal error server connection terminated” error. There is nothing else on the page.
  4. This happened in Internet Explorer. So I tried clearing out the browsing data using “Delete all” option within Internet Explorer 7.0. Same result.
  5. I tried using Mozilla Firefox and Opera browsers. Same problem.
  6. I tried on another computer (Windows XP, IE & Firefox). No success.
  7. Then I asked my wife to login on the same computers and she was able to do so. I realized this was a problem with my login.

I tried unsuccessfully for a solution on various sites. There were very few results with this error. And in those pages, the persons expressed their frustration and intention to move to Gmail. I gave up and went back to some other work.

A few hours later, I tried again and was surprised to find that I was able to login again. I thought of it as an aberration. A few hours later, the problem came back. I had to check if any emails came. So I went to the My Yahoo! Beta page, but the web part for Mail did not show any information and showed an icon indicating it was trying to retrieving information. I switched to the old My Yahoo! view and I could now see the list of emails. Clicking them yielded the same problem as before.

I tried again after sometime and finally got the following screen with the text “contact Customer Care about Error Code 1″ hyperlinked to a form that allowed me to submit my username and secondary email address. I tried searching for “Error Code 1” on Google, but didn’t find anything useful.

An hour or so later, I tried again and this time I was able to login. There was an automated email from Yahoo! that read, “Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care. We received your question and the wheels of progress are in motion. A support rep will get back to you as soon as possible. In the meantime, please visit our online help center (http://help.yahoo.com/), if you have not already done so. You’ll find a lot of good information there.

Two and a half hours after that, I received another message (which seems to be written instead of automated) that read,

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care. Sorry to hear you had problems accessing Yahoo! Mail. We jumped on it, and hopefully the temporary problem is now taken care of. If you’re still having issues, please reply to this email to let us know. You can also try returning to Yahoo! Mail and pressing the Reload or Refresh button on your browser, then logging back in.

Much Appreciated,
The Yahoo! Mail Team
Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Mail.
Regards,
Yahoo! Customer Care

I am very puzzled at the whole chain of events. Although I have a lot of emails, I don’t use that much space as I get rid of the funny forwarded attachments and miscellaneous junk items I get. I don’t have the latest Messenger‐integrated Yahoo Mail, although I am using the new beta version. I suppose a possibility would be a scheduled maintenance that may have got disrupted when I logged in at unholy hours.

Although the timing of the support email (received sometime after the problem went away) did not add up, if what the Yahoo! Mail team said was true, it looks like they know what the problem is and how to fix it. That is a good sign and probably it may not happen again.

{ 50 comments }

Ajith June 8, 2007 at 3:10 am

if u r connecting thru an improperly configured proxy, such things can happen..thats what i've heard 🙂

Krishna June 8, 2007 at 5:20 am

Thanks for the comment, Ajith. I thought about that, but I tried from different computers on different networks, but I had the same problem. But my wife was able to use the same computer to login. Also later the problem went away without any change on my part.

Anonymous June 9, 2007 at 10:13 pm

Just switch to Gmail, problem solved.

Krishna June 10, 2007 at 6:07 am

@anonymous

Gmail has its outages, too. Besides, I have a lot of existing emails and contacts already in Yahoo!

David B. June 13, 2007 at 5:48 pm

You are not crazy. I have been a Yahoo Mail user for seven or eight years and the service has been unacceptably bad over the past week or so. This has occurred on our Mac, using Firefox and Safari, and on my Dell laptop using Internet Explorer. The same locking up problem you described is happening to me. Tonight I have been unable to get to my mail at all. Another issue has been trying to sign out of one mail account to another (my wife's). This has been impossible.

Yes, I also have a Gmail account but use it only for family/personal use... not e-commerce.

Krishna Kumar June 14, 2007 at 5:38 am

David, this may have to do with some Yahoo! Mail upgrades too. I just noticed that they have now integrated the Messenger interface within Yahoo! It is quite possible that the problem will go away soon.

Anonymous July 6, 2007 at 3:21 am

this is happening to me too at this very moment.
so i googled to find and answers and landed here.
very frustrating as i hav a business email to tend to ASAP.

Krishna July 6, 2007 at 8:56 am

@anonymous

Sorry to hear about your problems with Yahoo! Mail. Hope they fix the issue soon and you are able to get back to your work.

Anonymous July 10, 2007 at 9:40 am

I'm having the same problem. I wrote to Yahoo's help, got the "we jumped on it" responses a few times, with no change in result.

Then I got a different response from Yahoo help, and although I can't get into mail yet, am now getting this error:

Firefox can't find the server at us.f999.mail.yahoo.com.

The problem happens with all browsers (Camino, Safari, Firefox), on Mac and PC platforms (with IE7).

It is NOT related to browser or IP or firewall issues, since my husband can sign in to my.yahoo on any of our home machines or at work, in any browser, and get to his yahoo mail. HIS mail comes up at us.f560.mail.yahoo.com, I notice.

Krishna July 10, 2007 at 6:53 pm

@anonymous

I think the problem is that Yahoo! is migrating your data to a new format and they have not fixed all the chinks in the migration program.

Anonymous July 14, 2007 at 6:59 pm

I get this error msg: Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in C:\xampp\htdocs\www\yahoo\processing.php on line 16 .

Don't know waht to do..if i go on my laptop i can get my emails..but i cant from this one..it's been like this for 2 days now:(

Krish July 14, 2007 at 7:25 pm

@anonymous

I think this has to do with some internal programming error on the Yahoo! server you are being redirected to.

I think it may help if you contact Yahoo! customer support at http://help.yahoo.com/fast/help/ca/mail/cgi_feedback. They may probably tweak your account.

Anonymous July 23, 2007 at 4:41 am

Is it something to do with the loading of pictures - I turned this off in IE and managed to load up so at least I can see messages etc...

Krish July 23, 2007 at 10:18 am

@anonymous

I don't think images is the problem. I have seen Yahoo! Mail load up with images disabled sometimes (without any change to IE configuration). Should be a server issue and it would go away soon.

Anonymous September 26, 2007 at 5:58 pm

I have the same problem all the time and its not anything wrong on my end, I am a network engineer at a big hospital, So I know networking. The problem is on Yahoo's side.... I have not contacted anyone is support because I know it would be a waste of time. I just wish they would fix it!

Krish September 27, 2007 at 2:53 am

@anonymous

Yes, apparently they know how to fix the problem, but they have either been doing it slowly or not doing it until someone complains.

Anonymous October 18, 2007 at 1:05 pm

I'll bet they take notice if everyone on this blog sends an email to Yahoo! customer support at http://help.yahoo.com/fast/help/ca/mail/cgi_feedback

Thanks for posting this info Thought Clusters - thought I was doing something wrong.

Denni October 23, 2007 at 10:58 am

It's now 3½ months later, but would you believe: these problems continue.

I've had a minor hiccup with Yahoo a couple of weeks ago, but it seemed to be back to normal (except that I'm biting my nails because an email from an editor may have been lost).

Today, the service is utterly unacceptable: the browser (Firefox) returns constant messages that it can't contact uk.f272.mail.yahoo.com. It'd definitely their fault!

Like you, I have relied on Yahoo for years, and I'm loathe to change all my contacts, plus it doesn't seem professional.

Krish October 23, 2007 at 12:40 pm

@denni

Could be a problem with the Yahoo! Mail beta to live conversion. A few weeks back, I had severe problems myself.

Anonymous December 5, 2007 at 5:29 pm

Wow, this thread started in June and I still have these problems with Yahoo mail every day now. Anyone know when Yahoo intends to fix it? Or is Yahoo Mail finally dying?

rcolestock February 7, 2008 at 11:44 am

I am having Yahoo Mail issues as well. I normally use Outlook for a mail client to my Yahoo account. Quite frequently it can send but not receive. Then all of the sudden it will receive the same old messages over and over, creating dups in my inbox. Then it will be hours before being able to receive again. I have verified my POP3 and SMTP settings. So, I go to the web UI and try to do my emails from there. Many times the main inbox page errors out, if not - I get an error when reading a message, if not - I get an error when sending or replying. I refresh or close out of IE and get back in and sometimes it works (or one step will) but most of the time something fails. I have cleared my browser's cache. I have tried this from various computers (all Windows-based, but different flavors of Windows and different IE versions). I have tried from my broadband connection at home, my Verizon wireless card and from various work locations around the country - so I know it is not my network or related infrastructure. The sad thing is that this is not a free account - I pay Yahoo for their 'premium email service'. I cannot simply change providers at this point - I have had this account for years and use it for personal as well as work. If anybody figures out what the scoop is - I would be totally in your debt...

Krish February 7, 2008 at 11:51 am

Are you using the Yahoo! Mail classic version or the newer version? In the recent past, I have been using the new version of Yahoo! Mail on Internet Explorer 7.0.

The main problem I have faced is that you need to wait for a few seconds (usually 15-20 seconds) after you log in until the Inbox has fully loaded. If you don't do that, then I have seen errors coming up.

rcolestock February 7, 2008 at 2:12 pm

I am using Mail Plus (the new one) from the website, but am also having problems using Outlook.
Krish - are you saying that if you don't wait the 15-20 seconds when logging in - that may come back to haunt you later in the session when you are replying to a message? It seems strange that sometimes showing the inbox list, opening-up an individual message and entering my reply text works fine and then after I click on the 'send' button I get that lovely "You've stumbled upon a temporary problem we're having with Yahoo! Mail."...I have been having this problem over the last couple of months - doesn't appear to be "temporary".

Krish February 7, 2008 at 2:59 pm

I didn't face any issue after the Inbox fully loaded.

I would suggest contacting Yahoo customer support. They helped me through my last issue.

rcolestock February 8, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Ok - I'll check with those guys - thanks!

Tordiscat February 10, 2008 at 2:24 pm

I have been having problems with yahoo for several days. I was able to get on yahoo from my desk top but not my lap top. Called DSL provider was told to call Dell on phone with them for 4hrs for 2 days finally uninstalled windows & reinstall lost all my doc.'s & files back-up didn't work. Still having problems loading yahoo and keep getting an error box that says "There was a problem retriveing weather data please try again later" click OK comes right back up again.

Krish February 10, 2008 at 4:58 pm

I get those weather errors from time to time. Just wait a few seconds after you sign in, and normally it should be okay.

The weather gadget is located near the top right when you log in. Sometimes resetting the location helps too.

Anonymous August 26, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Could anybody please help me?

I tried to log in into my yahoo account, and there was that strange message in my notepad. I tried to delete it, the opened window just froze! I went back one page and opened that note in notepad, tried to delete again, it froze again. Since then I cannot download yahoo.ca page...
(We tried to do the same on another computer, the same situation: frozen windows, unable to open yahoo.ca)

Thanks

Krish August 26, 2008 at 2:51 pm

@anonymous

Try clearing your Temporary Internet Files or browser cache. This may help.

Anonymous September 7, 2008 at 12:48 pm

I can't open my files in Yahoo mail I really need the information in those files Please help

Anonymous October 5, 2008 at 7:17 pm

When will Yahoo fix mail problems? I can empathise with all of the above. Wht can't yahoo procide a simple analysing tool that will identify problems and provide fixes.

Anonymous October 15, 2008 at 12:59 pm

I can't open my mail on Yahoo. I have a regular email account but I use it for business. This is not good timing. I keep getting the message TYPE ERROR
number 2146823279. I called some company this morning to fix it FOR $3.50 a minute and seven minutes later they told me to call Yahoo. And they charged me for their tech support. Great game that one is. So don't waste your money there, I will dispute that on my charge card. Does anyone have any answer of what to do? Thanks

Anonymous October 19, 2008 at 2:52 pm

I am having the same problem so I keep logging on and off and tricking them by going around different way as to send and then like goggle something then to inbox then send just kind of just if you will mess with there bi-polar head try this, and just keep shutting it down when you need to and that seems to help but I seriously keep going around and around tricking the sites real fast lol and it so far is working (sometimes) but I'm getting error 16 but it's comforting to know it's not just my laptop so I guess were all in this together which helps a little I guess, at least we know it's on there end not ours so if we ambush with complaints it's bound to get fixed faster good luck all, Elizabeth

Anonymous October 19, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Anonymous November 7, 2008 at 1:16 pm

AHHHHH!!! I've been locked out of my account for over 2 weeks now! I've tried all fixes, now I've missed births, wedding and other important happenings! I've had this account for 10 years and do not want to switch. I've never had a problem before with yahoo ever...Really YAHOO, you're better than this! You've been so GOOD to me,please resolve this issue. ERROR CODE 1- please FIX IT!!!!!!

Anonymous November 18, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Switch back to yahoo mail classic using this link and click on opt out..should work.

Anonymous November 20, 2008 at 9:21 am

This really works!!! You are a genius!!! Thanks so much!

Anonymous November 22, 2008 at 12:46 am

prplem is mail exprienced a login error

Anonymous December 27, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Yep, the opt out link did the trick for me as well, thanks much!

RE:

Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 1:40 am

It is 'nice' that I am not the only one having problems. But in the mean time I don't have access...

Anonymous March 10, 2009 at 9:06 am

HI MY NAME IS ZAMA I CANT OPEN MY MAIL BOX I REALIZE TODAY WHEN I WAS TRYIN TO CHEK UP ON MY EMAIL

Anonymous March 14, 2009 at 2:59 am

ANNONYMOUS
have problem opening my yahoo.com,logged in with correctly but refused to open.I am refered to customer care code17,please assist

Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 4:12 am

hi! i can open my account and read my messages but i cant compose, reply and a lot of other things. when i click on the compose new mail button nothing happens same with the reply. i cant use the yahoo messenger nor can i switch to mail classic either...but the most impt thing is i cant compose new mail!!! why is this?

Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 6:53 am

@anonymous. Make sure that you are using the latest version of your browser.

Anonymous March 23, 2009 at 8:03 am

i can open my account and read my messages but i cant compose, reply, forward... and a lot of other things. when i click on the compose new mail button nothing happens same with the reply. i cant use the yahoo messenger nor can i switch to mail classic either...but the most impt thing is i cant compose new mail!!! why is this?

Anonymous March 23, 2009 at 8:06 am

I dont want to published my problem, I want solution as soon as posible

Anonymous April 7, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Urm - what would be really useful to me is finding somewhere on their damn site to report errors!! All they have is their 'help' pages, which don't help at all when it is their problem. I can login but the mail page just doesn't appear - all of a sudden. Everything ok yesterday - today no mail page. But I cannot find anyway of contacting the morons.

Anonymous May 13, 2009 at 5:10 am

Hi,
i am unable to open my mail / inbox on my computer , but i can open on other copmputer. what is the proble ? is my computer problem or i did not open yahoo mail in march & i try toopen in april 2nd week but not opened till now . pls help me .

thx
Rahi
rahi.maharaj@gmail.com
rahipujari@yahoo.com

Krishna Kumar May 13, 2009 at 7:04 am

Definitely should be a problem with your computer, Rahi. Try using a different browser and see what happens.

Anonymous June 13, 2009 at 5:12 pm

From sparks:

WOW..someone else is having the same problems as me. I would like to get an answer because I use the computer daily for grad school. Yes it takes forever to sign onto Yahoo Mail. Any other suggestions to solve problem. I have tried all.

Thanks

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: