Yahoo! Mail Problem

by Krishna on June 6, 2007

The reason for posting this blog is that there was nothing on Google Search or Blogsearch for a particular painful and frustrating problem. So if someone is facing this same issue, I hope this can help them.

The last couple of days, I have been having problems accessing my Yahoo! email. The symptoms were as follows:

1. When I type http://mail.yahoo.com/, I get the login page as usual.
  2. I type in my user name and password, but the browser stays without showing a page for a long time, probably like 5-10 minutes.
  3. Finally, it comes back with an “internal error server connection terminated” error. There is nothing else on the page.
  4. This happened in Internet Explorer. So I tried clearing out the browsing data using “Delete all” option within Internet Explorer 7.0. Same result.
  5. I tried using Mozilla Firefox and Opera browsers. Same problem.
  6. I tried on another computer (Windows XP, IE & Firefox). No success.
  7. Then I asked my wife to login on the same computers and she was able to do so. I realized this was a problem with my login.

I tried unsuccessfully for a solution on various sites. There were very few results with this error. And in those pages, the persons expressed their frustration and intention to move to Gmail. I gave up and went back to some other work.

A few hours later, I tried again and was surprised to find that I was able to login again. I thought of it as an aberration. A few hours later, the problem came back. I had to check if any emails came. So I went to the My Yahoo! Beta page, but the web part for Mail did not show any information and showed an icon indicating it was trying to retrieving information. I switched to the old My Yahoo! view and I could now see the list of emails. Clicking them yielded the same problem as before.

I tried again after sometime and finally got the following screen with the text “contact Customer Care about Error Code 1” hyperlinked to a form that allowed me to submit my username and secondary email address. I tried searching for “Error Code 1” on Google, but didn’t find anything useful.

An hour or so later, I tried again and this time I was able to login. There was an automated email from Yahoo! that read, “Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care. We received your question and the wheels of progress are in motion. A support rep will get back to you as soon as possible. In the meantime, please visit our online help center (http://help.yahoo.com/), if you have not already done so. You’ll find a lot of good information there.

Two and a half hours after that, I received another message (which seems to be written instead of automated) that read,

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care. Sorry to hear you had problems accessing Yahoo! Mail. We jumped on it, and hopefully the temporary problem is now taken care of. If you’re still having issues, please reply to this email to let us know. You can also try returning to Yahoo! Mail and pressing the Reload or Refresh button on your browser, then logging back in.

Much Appreciated,
The Yahoo! Mail Team
Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Mail.
Regards,
Yahoo! Customer Care

I am very puzzled at the whole chain of events. Although I have a lot of emails, I don’t use that much space as I get rid of the funny forwarded attachments and miscellaneous junk items I get. I don’t have the latest Messenger-integrated Yahoo Mail, although I am using the new beta version. I suppose a possibility would be a scheduled maintenance that may have got disrupted when I logged in at unholy hours.

Although the timing of the support email (received sometime after the problem went away) did not add up, if what the Yahoo! Mail team said was true, it looks like they know what the problem is and how to fix it. That is a good sign and probably it may not happen again.

{ 11 comments }

pat August 7, 2009 at 10:40 am

TO WHOM THIS MAY CONCERN, WHEN I CLICK ON YAHOO,COM, ONE ON THE LEFT SIDE SHOW WHAT IT SHOULD. AN ON THE RIGHT SIDE SHOW NOTHING.LIKE THE MAIL, WEATHER, PLUS. NEED TO BE FIXED. GOD BLESS, MRS PATRICIA MOSSWE

cyndy August 11, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Good Day!I can’t open my yahoomail. The website says they have inconvenience and there is a code error appearing in my mail. I hope you can work it out so that I can read my important emails. Thank you.

Cathryn August 21, 2009 at 12:22 am

I have not been able to open my yahoo.com account for nearly five days. Everytime, when I log in (the user name and the password are certainly correct), the web displays “the web page contains security and non-security contents”, and then asks if you will continue, but no matter what your choice, “Yes” or “No” to show the non-security contents or “cancel” , the web page shows “the page you request cannot be found” and you need to “Check URL with spellings …” sort of. Does anyone get the same problem? I just hope it is not my account’s problem but a systmtaic problem and they can fix it soon. I hope I can read my emails soon.

Kathy August 24, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Not that the email address will work. I have not been able to access my email for the last 2 weeks. It either gives me a blank page or “internet explorer cannot display webpage”. The Yahoo Mail also loads like a snail despite having DSL. The frustrating thing…there isn’t a phone number to use to contact a “live” person for support to get some answers. I can’t believe that Yahoo isn’t aware of this problem and jumped on it to fix it.

Krishna August 24, 2009 at 4:00 pm
Kathy August 24, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Thanks for your quick response. I had sent my problem and question to Yahoo link you provided (days ago). Haven’t heard from them. It almost appears that Yahoo is trying to commit cyber-suicide.

J Harris November 1, 2009 at 6:41 pm

I’ve been unable to access yahoo mail on my XP machine for about 2 weeks and have tried every cookie-cache-spyware-virus-whatever suggestion I’ve found. The strange thing is that I can access it on my Vista laptop, AND on my husband’s XP machine. Nothing changed on my XP. Has something changed in Yahoo? Is something known to prevent access besides what I’ve already tried??

Fran August 10, 2010 at 4:05 am

I, also, am having a problem with my yahoo email. I usually get a message that Explorer cannot display this web page. This happens 3 out of 4 clicks that I did in my
Yahoo Email. Sometimes the whole email won’t open. Sometimes just the inbox. Sometimes it is the spam that won’t open.

Fran August 10, 2010 at 4:09 am

I too have the same problem. I just left a reply here with the wrong email address. My yahoo email opens with Explorer cannot display this page. It happens quite often off and on. Sometimes the page won’t open, sometimes the spam, sometimes the inbox.

khaled August 14, 2010 at 5:53 am

my messages from websites donot arrive what i do?

dianne cartwright October 14, 2010 at 10:33 am

It is now October 2010 and I amhaving the same problem listed by someone above in 2008. I can get into the email, but I immediately get a screen message indicating that there is an error, must close. I’ve opted to send the report to microsoft, but that doesnt seem to help. soooooo, HELP! Does anyone out there know the answer?

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }