How do you go about creating a personal website? Here are 5 quick considerations if you have plans to do so:
- Layout: How will the site look like? Fortunately, there are many examples of great looking websites that you can learn from. Take a look at http://www.csszengarden.com/. You don’t really need to know a lot of graphics design. 1-2 good images and good combination of colors can create a simple, but attractive web design.
- Navigation: Place the most important links so that visitors to the site can easily see it and navigate to it. Make it easy for users to access different parts of your system and also come back to the home page. Provide search capability. Google Custom Search is very easy to setup – just a matter of minutes.
- Content: Having substantial amount of content on your website can take a lot of time – months or even years. Start small and maintain a regular schedule to add content. Over time, you will see your website grow.
- Interactivity: Provide visitors a way to leave you feedback or contact you. Most hosting sites provide guestbook and contact form functionality. You could also build your own.
- Technology: You can easily create websites using graphics editors and not knowing much about the technology. In the long-term, it pays to learn about the various technologies (HTML, web programming, etc.) so that you can maintain and extend your website further.
Nowadays, there is an increasing trend by many people to start blogs as their personal website. This is a great idea because it is much easier to get started and publish content. You can also reach a much bigger audience.