A Few Problems with Google Services

by Krishna on February 6, 2007

In the past few weeks, using the various Google services, I have encountered the following issues:

  1. Orkut seems to be repeatedly failing. I keep getting the “Bad, bad server. No donut for you” message. At first, the message was rather funny. Now I just want the links to work. Important operations like saving a scrap and adding a friend are blowing up. Is Google really serious about Orkut?
  2. Google Analytics was down for several hours last week. Many people experienced the problem. It seems that the product was still capturing web visits data, but was not tabulating it for Analytics users. It started working again by the next day, so no problems. The delay in Analytics is a bit irritating as it is typically a few hours behind which prevents real-time analysis of data.I get the same feeling when I see my cached page in Google showing content from weeks ago. I don’t have a problem with the spider or crawl engine slowly marking its way to my updated site. The problem is that Google Blog Search has indexed the latest blog content and it doesn’t show up in regular Google Search. Maybe this is supposed to be all beyond me, but it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.
  3. Google Webmaster released a new Links tab for viewing the external and internal links to a website. It was gone the next day. Apparently, there was a security violation that allowed people to see the data for other sites. It is back now that they have fixed the bug.I am not sure that it can even be classified as a bug, because links to another website are public to begin with. The link: operator in Google is actually supposed to be retrieving this information. I guess the negative publicity got to the Webmaster team.
  4. I didn’t realize this until I checked my diagnostic feed in FeedBurner. Apparently, the Atom feed from my blog hosted at Blogger was failing and FeedBurner was not able to serve up new posts. Apparently, this has been happening once every few days. Don’t know if anybody else had this problem.
  5. In Google Reader, there was a post for SuperBowl-like ads from Techcrunch that had embedded videos. Only 2 of the 5 videos played in Reader. And the message remained as an unread item. I had to wait until I read all the posts and then hit the “Mark all as read” to get rid of the post. The embedded video players are a new feature in Reader.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: